History of the Doucette HouseThe property where the house stands was purchased by John B. Clark before 1850 as part of tract 428 on the then "new road" running from Culbertson's Mill to French Creek and on to Meadville. By 1867, with the completion of the Route 99 road, it became a quiet side street.
Lewis Culbertson built this house in the typically Italianate style in 1861. In the 1876 Atlas of Erie County it is described as one of Edinboro's finest homes and identified as the residence of M. M. McClaughry who had purchased the property in 1867.
As one of Edinboro's earlier settlers and a local business man, McClaughry and his first wife raised six children in the home. It stayed with various family members until 1921 when the house was deeded to J. Morrison Reeder. When Mr. Reeder moved from the area, the house was rented to a number of individuals and began to deteriorate.
Aimee Doucette purchase the house in 1933. He and his wife Edith raised their seven children, followed by their daughter Aimee and her husband Richard Rodak. They occupied the house with their five children through the 1970's.
In 2001, Forrest Doucette approached the EAHS with the idea of donating the House to be used as headquarters of the Society. Today, the renovation of the House is ongoing and a Capital Campaign is established to maintain the House for the future of Edinboro. Forrest & Ed Doucette gave generously of their time and money to repair and restore the home and property, while the Community have donated their valuable time and resources towards the project.
The Edinboro community is not only enriched by the gift from the Doucette Family, and in particular Forrest & Ed, but our community itself has given selflessly to maintain and preserve the Doucette House as part of the borough of Edinboro. Please come for a visit to view the home & property; inquire and learn, but always enjoy, since it is by and for the residents of Edinboro...and all others!
...much of the above text is taken from Dr. Russell Vance's The Edinboro Area: Background, Explanations, and Documentations (2005).
Publications by and about the Doucette House & EAHS may still be available; inquire via email (email@example.com) and our gift shop may be able to help you.
Footprints: About the Boro by Forrest H. Doucette Vol 1 (Forrest's reminisces of growing up from 1925-43)
The Edinboro Area: Background, Explanations, and Documentations by Dr. Russell E. Vance Jr (2005). In addition, Dr. Vance wrote a history of the college in Edinboro, now Edinboro University, called "A Portrait of Edinboro: 1876-1976."
Movers of Edinboro: the LeRoy and Beatrice Smith Family by Ruth Cogan with Melinda Meyer. World War II veteran LeRoy Smith and his bride Beatrice moved to the Edinboro area in 1948. The experiences of this African American family were retold in a program and exhibition in 2012 funded by the PA Historical & Museum Commission. The booklet is a summary of the life and times of the Smith family.
Recipes & Memories of Edinboro. The Society published a recipe book some years ago and we may have copies still available.
Area Historical Society
| P.O. Box 18 | Edinboro, PA 16412 |
814-734-6109 | Tuesdays & Saturdays 9AM - Noon
times by Appointment
We are located at 126 Water Street, Edinboro PA